Friday, September 15, 2017

Strategies




The top three strategies that I want to try are the KWL Plus, The Important Thing, and Analogy Charting.

 



KWL Plus is a strategy that has a chart and in the first column you put what you know. In the second column, you put what you would like to learn. After reading and researching you fill out the third column with what you learned. You can take this further for what you still have not learned and would like to find out. The plus part of this strategy is categorizing what you found out and you can do this with a content map.

 


The next strategy and my favorite so far is The Important Thing. This was really fun when we did it in class. I can see using this for many things. The first sentence and the last sentence are the same so it is the important thing about _______ is that __________. Then you list three things about that and then you close with the same sentence such as the example above.

 

The third strategy I would like to try is the analogy charting. In this strategy, there is a chart used such as the one above in which similarities and differences are listed. 

The strategy that I would like to use when I am teaching is The Important Thing. This can even be used as frontloading if you are going to talk about a topic and you want to see what your students already know about the topic. It can be a really fun way to get them started. I also really like the KWL Plus and will probably try it also but my favorite so far is The Important Thing.



 

4 comments:

  1. Great use of pictures in your post. The descriptions of each post were well done but the visuals really brought the concepts to life. I am intrigued by the Important Thing strategy. I like that it can be used to gauge background knowledge and it seems like it would be a great way to jumpstart a lesson in an engaging way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and your blog looks great. I like how informative your blog is. I really like the KWL strategy you presented. I think this could be usefully in social studies because a lot of times the student have already learned something about the topic we are exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I say I appreciate that you always find a way to incorporate a visual element to your blog. It is an area I could improve upon. I think the KWL Plus strategy would be useful for elementary grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super excited that you like The Important Thing strategy. I find it excellent for summarization.

    ReplyDelete