Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Week 1 Reflection

Image result for frazzled person 

This is how I feel after our first night of class. I am so overwhelmed and am not sure I will remember everything I need to remember. I am a stickler for things staying the same for the most part and electronics are not my strong suit though I am getting better. So when I learned I had to blog for this class I am sure you can imagine how I felt. I must say though, I am not finding this too difficult. Surprisingly! I think I will learn a lot in this class and am sure I will enjoy it. This is my first class of this sort at Columbia College but I will get in the swing of things by the end.

What I learned tonight (besides blogging) was that there are many different resources out there to help teachers. While I knew there were many sources out there it was refreshing to see new sources and with so much information. I am excited to check these websites out further.

I also like the fact that we get to work in groups. It is always better to run ideas through others especially when you are unsure the first time you do something. It was nice to see we have students in class that have had a class with this teacher before.

Takeaways: What I have taken away from this class is the knowledge to try something new, it is not always difficult and can be fun. I learned how to blog after just one night though I will not say I am a pro. I also took away from this class some great new websites in which to find a great wealth of knowledge and help in times when I need it.

11 comments:

  1. I was a first time blogger last session and I was overwhelmed at first too. Now I am getting the hang. I add the people in our group to the reading log or reading list section so the four of you are right there and easy to get to so I can respond the best way I can't. I felt like the articles were great as well. I love finding new resources out there! I know when I do become a teacher I will be so thankful for all of it. Do you like to use Pinterest for your lesson ideas? Have you had to do a unit plan before in any classes ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pinterest! I teach two year olds' and I use this website when making lesson plans to get art activities. It is amazing. I have not had to do a unit plan for any classes as Columbia College and am nervous about how I will do with these. Thanks for the tip about adding people to our group. I am going to try this out. Have you completed other unit lesson in other classes then?

      Delete
    2. I have done a couple unit plans. And then a few class just lots of lesson plans. Last session we had 10 to do. But they were in any subject so I felt that was a little easier. So hopefully this won't go to bad.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, forgot to ask a question had to reread the rubric. How difficult do you think the lesson plans will be and how long do you think it will take us to actually complete one? Do you think any of us will get exemplary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions. I use to put hours and hours and days into lesson plans and now I have done so many I put about an hour into each on. I make sure it is straight to the point and tells all the information needed. I try to make it no more than a page in a half to two pages. I feel the more I would put into it the harder it would be on myself.

      Delete
    2. Good information, thanks! I hope one day I can be as speedy and confident as you. I can see where having too much information would make it harder on you. Thanks for the info!

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure how confident I am. But I try the best I can and just do the best I can. :). I'm here if you need help!

      Delete
    4. Lesson plans used to take me an entire day to do one, when I first started. Now it takes me about an hour or two...depending if we have to add DOK's in them or not. The more you do the better you will get and the easier they will be. And I feel we all do exemplary work but there will always be room for growth...even for the most seasoned and experienced teacher.

      Delete
  3. Tina,

    I feel the same way about the blog! I freaked a little at first because I wasn't understanding how to do it, but now I'm a little more comfortable. I actually like being able to converse with my classmates on a more relaxed platform. This is my third virtual class, so I'm getting the hang of it, but I remember how overwhelming it was at first. If you have any questions I can try to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you were not the only one feeling overwhelmed. From what I read from others, its very common, but once we get in the rhythm, the rest of the weeks will not be so overwhelming. I am also on the same boat with blogging. I have taken several virtual classes, and none of them required students to blog. However, I like it so far. I like working with a group of students throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can simplify or help in any way, let me know.

    ReplyDelete