Wednesday, May 24, 2017


Reflection: Wow, I can't believe this is week 4! We are halfway through the course already and it seems like there is still a lot of work to be done. I thought this class was interesting. I liked the fact that it was a recording we could stop and get up and stretch our legs, use the restroom, or eat and not have to worry about missing class. I did however, miss the interactions between us all. I liked thinking about puppets and drama for older children. I have worked with two year olds for the past 7 years and we use puppets in the classroom but to think of using them with older students as well as drama was a new thought for me.
 I have so many questions. I feel like our assignments should be so simple (not simple as in done in 5 minutes, just simple as in easy to understand) however, I am so lost. When I think I have it, I find out I don't. It is beginning to get frustrating as we get so far and I feel like I am going to have to redo everything I have done this far.
Questions: Can anyone describe the method you used for your unit? I picked a topic and am understanding this is what we are to use for all 10 lessons but when I read the syllabus I see where it is to contain different things. Any advice? Also on the assessments and rubrics that are due (I thought the 29th) are they due Friday or Sunday and are we to do and assessment and rubric for each lesson and is the rubric on the whole lesson?
Any help is appreciated!Image result for 1/2 way there

7 comments:

  1. I forgot takeaways sorry! What I took from this class was using puppets and drama with the students. I think it is a great way to get students talking (even the quit ones). The other takeaway is the poem Dr. Steffies read by Jack Lewinski(might have the last name wrong). I found this poem to be interesting and I think it is great to see what students remember from the poem and watching as the list grows each time the poem is read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture we are half way there yahoo!!!!
    Okay so this is what I did for the unit and assessments assignment. The Unit I am doing first grade I looked at the Missouri Learning Standards and I am going to do a Unit on Phonics. I have 14 days worth with doing 10 lesson plans (some plans take 2 days) and each lesson is a different subject/objective but the overall understanding at the end will be to know phonics. For the assessments we are to do a formative assessment for each lesson so 10 of them. Then one overall test for the whole unit with a rubric. This is what she told me and what I understood from it all. Hope it helps, sorry if it doesn't. I can answer more questions if you need and if I can:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Half way there! I also liked the recording, but missed chatting with everyone. I don't always get a lot of adult interaction as a stay at home mom so sometimes I look forward to Wednesday nights! haha I also liked thinking about how to use puppets in the classroom. For some reason I really hated puppets as a kid but now I think they're cool. I have 10 lessons - probably more than 10 days though - and for the assessment project I did one for each lesson and then a final project. I think we only needed 3 rubrics though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you being a stay at home mom. I was able to for awhile but my baby is now 16. Enjoy your time with your child(ren). I am finally done with the assessment but talked with Dr. Steffies and did one rubric. Hope I understood correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add puppetry to my blog because that is something I found many of young students to enjoy, especially in preschool-Kindergarten. Once students get older, they tend to rather role play than use puppets. As far as the unit, I thought there were suppose to be 3 rubrics and an assessment for each day of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puppetry is a good one. An elementary I worked at had a Puppet Club. It was mainly 3rd graders and a few 4th graders. They made sock puppets and then practiced a play, they made up, with their sock puppets then performed them to the entire school. It was great! I read your post and see that you finished your assessment and ruberic, good for you. I am almost done. I am hoping I did them right, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I can help: the questions all relate to your unit BUT you must cover all the different levels of questions from Bloom's Taxonomy. Is that more clear? :) I don't like that the questions are due before the unit is done. I think it confuses things.

    ReplyDelete